DIY Room Decor: Name Tags


Hello friends!

Welcome to my college series! College is coming up for me and I have started to compile all of the things that I need for my dorm room. I think this series could be very beneficial for those of you who plan on going to college. Since most of my readers are still in high school/going to college, I want to make sure that my content stays relevant.

Looking at Pinterest for college tips/ideas has really inspired the crafty side of me to make some cute décor to bring with me to college. Although many advise against room décor as a college student, I still believe that it's necessary to have something to make your room feel special. Today I am going to show you how I made these beautiful name tags to stick onto your door.

Making these name tags are as easy as 1-2-3. I took all of the crafting supplies I had leftover from my graduation cap to make these beauties. Let's get started!


Materials:
Tweezers
Gold Metal Flakes
Mod Podge/White Glue
Paint (Color of your choosing)
Gold Paint
Ruler
Scissors
Cardstock
Fine Brush
Foam Brush


Step 1. Cut a rectangle from a sheet of cardstock. I recommend using cardstock because the paper is less flimsy and can withstand the layers of paint and glue that will go on top of it. Outline your lettering to make sure the name placement is centered. Leave a 1 inch border for the paint. I freestyled my lettering, but you can use the font bromello by dafont.com as a guide for a style that is similar to mine. Afterwards, paint the lettering with the gold paint. My gold paint is pretty thin so I painted a second layer so that the color would pop!


Step 2. Using a Foam Brush, dip into the colored paint of your choosing. Do quick swipes toward the center starting from the outside. This will create a brushed look.


Step 3. Once the colored paint has dried, add a layer of Mod Podge on top to stick the gold metal flakes. Use tweezers to make the application mess-free. The gold metal flakes tend to fly away easily. Work in sections because this part can be very tedious. Mod Podge tends to dry fairly quickly. Place larger flakes on the outer edge and smaller flakes towards the center. Seal the flakes with a layer of Mod Podge. Don't worry, the glue is clear! :)

You're finished! How easy was that? It does take a little bit of time to put on the flakes, but it's totally worth it. My roommate and I are obsessed. This name tag can help people easily find our room. It's also super eye catching as well. The pictures don't do it justice. I cannot wait to move in and show you more. More DIYs to come! :)
Good Luck,
Em

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Back
to top